Thursday, August 28, 2008

Holy Endorphins


Ha! Right? "What's up with the title Hannah?"
Well, I believe I dubbed this post appropriately.

Today I had the wonderful opportunity to bless life-long friends by going to their home and cleaning. They aren't able to do some stuff physically and then combined with a busy schedule, it's hard to keep up. We love them to DEATH so it's our joy to be able to serve them in this way.

As I was cleaning I just kept in mind how much I loved them and why they are so special to me... and how very much this blesses them. I am a giver. My Gift is giving. If serving is a way in which I am able to give something to someone then you'll see me at the front of the line. But while I was cleaning and thinking of them some words of Jesus came to mind, John 15: 13 "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." That kept resinating in my head. For some reason, up until this point I thought that Jesus meant it litterally--- that I should be in the greatest love possible if I physically had the chance to give my life and die for my friend(s). Well I wasn't quite sure how that was going to happen, but to be honest I really would do it. So I was somewhat bummed that I couldn't gaurantee that experience. SO> today it struck me differently. Giving of my life could also mean giving of my time. Time is exactly what life is... it's a never-pausing clock. A song I hear on the radio says it this way "Life is an hourglass glued to the table." Therefore, it's a precious thing to give a portion of that time, that slotted amount of life you will never get back, to someone in serving.

When you run or do some strenuous activity, you're generally worked up, sweating, tired but feeling good!! As I'm sure you all remember from your middle or high school biology class that the "feeling good" part after the workout comes from endorphins. The positive effect gives you a clear, upbeat mind and more energy.

On the ride home I was reminded out-of-the-blue of ''Greater love has no one than this, that he lays down his life for his friends." Well after an all day serving venture of cleaning for these beloved people, I left feeling a bit tired, but SO good. I had a light spirit and there was a bounce to my step! This did not come from pride, mind you... I think I can safely say that. But I felt Christ's words coming to life in my heart!

The Lord blessed me with ability to taste a small portion of that love, that joy He talks about in John 15:13.

I experienced Holy Endorphins. :-)

No comments:

Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails